Friday, October 12, 2018

13A Reading Reflection 1

Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX and the Quest for a Fantastic Future

1. Elon Musk's character surprised me in this book because prior to reading I had assumed he was extremely confident and never second guessed his decisions, but the author of this book described him as "tends to be almost sheepish". Which surprised me because as I continued reading, my image of Elon began to change. One thing that I admired about Elon is that he was not at the top of his class in academics, which should inspire hope for any entrepreneur. Elon states "What grades do I need to get to where I need to go?". Musk also disappointed me because he was against joining the military due to war affiliations. Which leads to Musk's struggles of being born in South Africa and the apartheid regime, that was definitely a hardship he overcame, I know firsthand how tough it is growing up in a war torn area.

2. Elon's tenacious in his ability to never give up despite the circumstances, once he developed coding skills he began to push his limits on jobs, which further increased his knowledge and experience, which I personally found admirable.

3. The text was very straightforward in describing Elon's journey to becoming the mogul he is now, but one part in the book that was vague was when it would describe Elon's search process for new jobs, such as when he finished becoming a millionaire and moved on to new projects, I was confused on how he stumbles on new projects so quickly and the book did not go into detail.

4. a) Did you think Tesla would get so much hype behind it or did you expect it to be a niche product?
   b) Do you feel that being born in South Africa gave you a better perspective on business considering the poor economy of Africa?

5. Personally, Elon Musk admires hard work and patience but I noticed trends in the book about him wanting to find the quickest way to solve problems and it leads him to set backs. I also struggle with patience but I know how vital it is to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment