Friday, November 2, 2018

20A Growing your social capital

Domain Expert: My old HR representative at Shoe Carnival, which was my previous employer. He fits this spot because my businesses goal is to fix Publix's HR hiring process and I feel an HR representative would be very helpful in giving me advice in order to avoid legal issues. I had a good relationship with my previous staff at Shoe Carnival before quitting and I called the HR department and spoke with the department lead, who I have met before and he said he had time to conduct an interview if I came in. The HR representative talked to me about the regulatory laws and regulations when it comes to being a public hire, and he told me that my business plan can be enacted because Publix bases their laws on the needs of their customers and if this business gets a serious following then Publix will consider change. The HR rep is extremely nice and reliable and I feel keeping him in the loop of my business could help me remain on the right track without getting into any legal issues.

Market Expert: My market expert is a close friend of mine who is involved in the Inspire party here at UF, he is very adamant about fair laws around UF campus and is well versed in regulatory action, considering that he is a law student himself. I met him through a mutual friend and we remained in touch. Our exchange gave me a lot of new things to think about, such as properly implementing my business plan in all Publix's because he said that big companies can act quickly and that if I were to go through with this plan I could see a serious rule change in Publix's hiring process as well as getting recognition from the state for helping increase jobs which could be beneficial for my business. Having someone from a major party in UF can really give my business a foundation and help our business goals be taken seriously.

Supplier: Finding a supplier was tough, but I chose a family friend who is a distributor for Anheuser Busch who has knowledge in business operations at a mass scale. Him and I talked about my business proposal and my idea napkin, I did not receive a lot of helpful feedback except when he told me that it would take a lot to get the corporate department to listen.

Reflection: Targeted networking made me go out of my comfort zone to talk to people I have not known very well or even people I have not spent time with and going to them for advice, it taught me that connections can make or break a business because if I had an insider at Publix corporate, it would have really sped up my businesses goals. This was a different than previous networking experience because I usually stay in my comfort zone and talk to groups of people that are like me, but going out of what I know was definitely a new experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment