Friday, November 16, 2018

25A Whats Next?

Existing Market:

      This company is meant to insure part time jobs go into the right hands, especially when it comes to financially unstable college students. The people I interviewed all said one similar thing, and that was they were glad someone recognized this issue. The amount of times I have been told that someone perfectly applicable for a job, was denied is very hurtful to me and drives me further to push this company in a positive direction.
     Growing our existing market is dependent on how well our start up is. The regulatory issue that lies within our business can be the downfall of the company considering that Publix could retract from helping insure jobs in the right hands, although this issue is not pertinent at the moment. Although everything is going well considering the team I have built and the need that is being met for college students. Many interviewees are telling me how necessary this business is and that gives me hope.

New Market:

     The biggest takeaway from interviewing new people was that everyone was supportive. I understand my business is not perfect but having such positivity behind the company really gives me hope. I talked to a girl that I pitched my idea to in class and she told me her own experience with a job interview and she mentioned how Publix never even called her back and she is yet to find work, and student loans become so much more tempting at that point. I want to provide this opportunity for people that deserve a chance and the support I have received is really motivational.
     One assumption that was proven to be true is that if mentioning that Publix hires unfairly regardless of the equal opportunity employer act could ruin this business, so I need to definitely change some aspects of my business in order to not offend, but positively create change. My new market is to simply innovate on current job applications, in order to distinguish one applicant from another, because at the moment job applications are not specific enough to make a clear decision on who should be hired, it is almost a random pick to see who gets a call back.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Millaed,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I am glad that you have recognized the issue of part-time jobs for college students. I agree with this and it seems that the people you interviewed in your existing market agreed with this statement as well. I agree that coming up with another way to phrase the issue with Publix’s current hiring practices, could be helpful. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Millaed,

    Your post was very thorough and demonstrated strong points about your business idea. I hear a lot of complaints about ineffective employment and hiring processes, as well as high turnover rates, in the city of Gainesville. In order to assuage complaints about your idea possibly being 'offensive' I would highlight the ways in which these employment practices are also exploitative and condescending to the disabled (who are treated differently than others during the hiring process).

    ReplyDelete